Low mass is of utmost importance in helicopter applications.
FZ lightweight rocket launchers made out of composite material are on average about 50% lighter than comparable metallic rocket launcher and have no corrosion issue. They have been especially developed for rotary wings due to limitation of payload.
3 different sizes are available:
- 7 tube (FZ233*/FZ220)
- 12 tube (FZ231*/FZ219)
- 19 tube (FZ225*/FZ207) * with LIU (Launcher Interface Unit) interfacing with GRMU/WMU/MCS
The weight of the 19-tube variant of the rocket launcher was reduced from the current 76 kg for an aluminium rocket launcher (M159 or US-M261) to a weight of 38 kg for the composite rocket launcher (FZ225).
During the development of the composite rocket launcher, strict military design processes have been applied including a full testing program according to MIL-STD 810H.
No US elements or components are integrated in the FZ lightweight rocket launchers.
- Dual purpose : all of our lightweight rocket launchers are equipped with a dual purpose detent mechanism suitable and fully compatible for both, FFAR (FZ67/FZ68/Mk40/Mk4) and WA rocket motors (FZ90).
- Mixed loading : By combining with a firing control system enabling the selection of a firing tube, a mixed simultaneous loading of rockets with different types of warheads gives the required weapon flexibility to the pilot to execute his task/mission efficiently during a sortie.
- Remote set fuze capabilities : Besides reduced system weight, the lightweight rocket launcher also provides remote set fuse interface capabilities. Fuse connectors on the front end of each rocket launcher tube enable to fire rockets with a warhead with a time setting fuze such as the subprojectile warheads FZ122 (Flechette) and FZ149 (Multidart). The transmission of information from the cockpit to the time setting fuze in-flight is assured via an umbilical link between the warhead and fuse connector.
- Safety :
- electrical discharge plate : each rocket launcher is also equipped with an electrical discharge plate to eliminate any static voltage to exclude short circuit causing accidental firing of a rocket,
- safety firing pin and lever assuring safe usage and transportation and preventing any accidental firings of a rocket.
- ITAR free : FZ rocket launchers are completely ITAR-free (International Traffic in Arms Regulations, U.S. Department of State) resulting in less administrative workload and no conflict with US export control policy.
- Guided rocket compatibility : all lightweight rocket launchers (equipped with LIU) are fully compatible with SAL-Laser Guided Rocket FZ275LGR in the so called “stand alone” configuration. In this configuration , no major modifications are required to fire the FZ275LGR laser guided rocket with FZ rocket launchers.